Published: Mon, September 10, 2018
Worldwide | By Jermaine Blake

Pence: I’m confident no one on my staff wrote the NYT column

Pence: I’m confident no one on my staff wrote the NYT column

Some pundits had speculated that Pence could be the "senior administration official" who wrote the opinion piece because it included language Pence has been known to use, like the unusual word "lodestar".

The op-ed writer claimed to be part of a "resistance" movement within the Trump administration that was working quietly behind the scenes to thwart the president's most risky impulses. The two writings chronicle how Trump's presidential authority is allegedly being checked by his own administration officials, who reportedly view him as amoral, behaving erratically and perhaps unsafe to national security.

Appearing on CBS' Face the Nation on Sunday, Pence initially told moderator Margaret Brennan he "wouldn't know" and would hope no one in the administration at large was involved in writing the editorial credited to a "senior administration official" and later clarified he was certain no one on his staff was involved.

The op-ed has prompted a frenzy of speculation both within the White House and outside of it as to who the author is, as well as a wave of denials from administration officials. "You don't know that and I don't know that".

"The truth is, the American people in 2016 rejected the policy and direction of Barack Obama when they elected President Donald Trump", Pence said.

Woodward told CBS Morning News on Sunday that "you look at the operation of this White House and you have to say, 'Let's hope to God we don't have a crisis'".

Nike's Labour Day sales surge by 31% post its Colin Kaepernick campaign
Woods wasn't asked about Kaepernick kneeling during the National Anthem to protest racial discrimination, and his opinion on the ad was all that he offered.

Obama says Trump is 'a symptom of division'
Obama's campaign activity will continue through October and will include fundraising appearances, according to an Obama adviser. Obama told voters the dismay they feel about Washington right now is meaningless if they don't go to the polls.

Pakistan removes economist from key role following Islamist backlash
Two more members of the Economic Advisory Council have resigned following the exit of Pakistani-American economist Atif R Mian. Aged 43, and a scholar in the field of finance and macroeconomics, Mian is regarded as one of the world's top young economists.

But he said: "I would agree to take it in a heartbeat and would submit to any review the administration wanted to do".

Pence adds that he doesn't know the author's identity but repeats that the individual should resign.

"What I see is a tough leader, a demanding leader, someone who gets all the options on the table", Mr Pence said on Fox News. But he declined to say whether he believes all top officials should be made to do the same, saying it was a decision for Trump to make.

"It's a disgrace. I think the author ... and frankly The New York Times should be ashamed". He cited national security concerns for what would amount to an extraordinary criminal probe should Attorney General Jeff Sessions decide to pursue one. Asked if the process had been discussed, Pence said: "No".

Though Mueller has not yet asked to interview Pence, the vice president said he would continue to "fully cooperate" with the investigation.

Like this: