Published: Mon, October 01, 2018
Medical | By Vicki Mclaughlin

CDC investigating 'brain eating amoeba' at surf resort in Waco

CDC investigating 'brain eating amoeba' at surf resort in Waco

A "brain-eating amoeba" infection is the suspected cause of death for a 29-year-old New Jersey man who died after visiting a Texas water park, according to his family.

Mr Parsons said Mr Stabile had been in the park's wave pool.

Stabile returned to New Jersey and began suffering from a headache on September 16, according to the family's GoFundMe page.

Stabile was remembered as an avid outdoors lover who loved to surf and snowboard.

Officials with the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention are testing the Waco surf resort's water for Naegleria fowleri.

He is believed to have contracted Naegleria fowleri during a visit to the BSR Cable Park in Waco, Texas, where he swam in the wave pool.

Ariana Grande breaks down on her Twitter feed
In one of her tweets she asked for just "one okay day". "That's our premiere, and then Kanye stepped up, and he'll be there". Another fan, @enemybieber, plead with the star to take her time recovering so she wouldn't regret her decision to return.

Canada, US reach deal to save NAFTA as trilateral trade pact
The two sides were hoping to finalize the pact overnight ahead of an announcement on Monday, The Globe and Mail said. Washington has already reached a bilateral deal with Mexico , the third NAFTA member.

Former Brexit Minister Believes No Reason For A Hard Border
Mr Corbyn described the meeting with Michel Barnier as "interesting" and "useful", but told reporters that he was not negotiating. The British peer said people voted for Brexit in the referendum without knowing what the final deal was like.

"A small CDC team collected samples for Naegleria Fowleri testing and will be working with the health department on recommendations to provide the facility on how to reduce potential exposures", reported CDC spokesperson Candice Burns Hoffmann in the Waco Tribune-Herald. It can cause a rare and devastating infection of the brain called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM).

Normally, people are infected when contaminated water enters through their nose, according to the agency.

"Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends, and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time", BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. said in a statement to the Waco Tribune-Herald. The amoeba is commonly found in warm freshwater such as lakes, rivers, ponds and canals.

The surf resort has been closed pending the test results from the CDC, he said.

Only four people of the 143 infected with the amoeba in the United States between 1962 and 2017 have survived.

BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E Parsons Jr. said: 'Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends, and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time.

Like this: